Some parents just love to prepare their kids a lunch to take to school with them. However, this can be exhausting and coming up with ideas to keep it interesting can get very old. In any case, parents get just as tired of lunch as the kids. As easy as it is to give the kids a few bucks to buy a lunch, they are becoming increasingly unhealthy and expensive. With these suggestions, you can save time, money and, most importantly, your child might learn something.
1. Leftovers From Dinner: This is a great way to ensure that you the family does not waste any excess food. Moreover, you do not need a lot of time to prepare anything; simply box it up after dinner and lunch for the next day is practically all ready. It can be anything from pizza to turkey after Thanksgiving.
2. The Elvis Burrito: Toast a whole wheat wrap before spread a healthy amount of peanut butter all over one side. Drizzle the peanut butter with a little bit of honey and top it off with a shower of fresh bacon bits. Then, slice up some banana and distribute it evenly across the wrap before rolling it up.
3. Protein Rice Bowl: A rice bowl might not seem like enough, but add an egg and some avocado slices and you have a meal packed heavy with protein and nutrients. This alternative is super easy to prepare and packs a lot of punch. Don’t forget to substitute white rice for brown as it has more fiber and other essential nutrients.
4. Ham & Cheese Quesadillas: Take a whole wheat tortilla, and spread a healthy layer of mustard on one side. Slice some Jarlsberg cheese and place it along with slices of ham on top of the mustard. Top that with a few spinach leaves and close the tortilla. Be sure to toast until it is golden brown and the cheese has melted, and then you’re ready to go.
5. Classic Dip: A very easy alternative lunch that ensures that you have something healthy to snack on. Just be sure to provide a good variety of colors and flavors and pair it with a healthy dip. One good dip option is a spinach-yogurt dip that you can easily make at home in a short amount of time.